Net Value

This weekend we officially started on the kitchen remodel. Our design combines the old breakfast nook and the existing kitchen into a kitchen with annex (think: butler’s pantry). Here’s the floorplan for your exploration pleasure. While we are providing links: here’s the kitchen annex task list as of today.

The plan calls for moving everything in the breakfast nook into the existing kitchen space then constructing the annex. When the annex is completed, we will move the existing kitchen into the annex (yes, very small), then construct the kitchen proper.

The annex, when done, will have a sink, the frig, about a third of the total cabinets, and enough counter space for our microwave and convection oven.

One of the first items on the task list was fixing a roof leak directly over the breakfast nook. This leak has been at 118 Henry Street way longer than us but apparently went unbothered until we moved in. The rough hurricane season 2 years ago brought the leak into it’s mighty own. There’s been a bucket in the attic ever since.

Rough hurricane season excerbates roof leak

Roof leak before

Note the, oh so professional, flashing job were the roof lines intersect. Seems that the flashing was actually catching water and running it down into the attic.

Rotted wood under the old flashing

Remediation in progress

At the end of today, we weren’t as far along as we had hoped, but….it ain’t gonna leak there no more.

Double Monday

DeShawn was out of school today so I took the day off work to hang out with him and Howard. Howard is my stepson, Carole’s son, whose lives in Columbia. He came to Chester around supper time yesterday. Although he and Carole regularly communicate via phone, we don’t get to see him as much since Carole moved to Chester. We were glad to have him visit.

The weather was cool and partly cloudy. DeShawn and I spent almost all the day outside. He, digging in the dirt, riding his bike, squirting his squirt guns, and all the other things an energetic little boy can get into. I finished up my Sunday project, the rehab of an old desk.

The desk was left by the PO’s (previous owners) in the shed and looked to have been used as writing table or drafting desk. After stripping all the old paint, I added some trim, cove cut the legs, and stained everything with a russet colored deck stain. Here is a picture of it, stain still drying, hinges not yet added:

Rehab’d writing desk

We’re going to put it in the West Bedroom, now being used as a study. There is a bit of history behind the designation of “West Bedroom” that can be found here. Since that time, the room has always been designated for DeShawn. Yet, as we swung into the perigee of moving him up there, the time didn’t seem quite right. So, at least for the temporary, we have elected to use the room as a study/guest room.

Here are a couple of pictures:

My computer and view of the backyard

The “guest bed”

Thinking of winter

I’ve been working on some kitchen designs for some time. We finally have an overall design paradigm complete with color scheme, cabinet styles, and floorplan. In so many words: butler’s pantry, flush plank board cabinet doors, tin backsplash, sage green, and milk paint. Unfortunately, nothing for you to see at this time.

Well, maybe something for you to see:

Kitchen before demolition, 2004

Kitchen after demolition, 2004

We created a webpage with photos of our old stove to facilitate gettings estimates on it’s restoration.

The link is here.

The story of the stove’s journey to 118 Henry Street is here and the June 8th post:

As the estimates come in, we will follow up.