Not so much

T minus 2 days till Xmas and not feeling much like the holidays. I’ve been on a big project at work for the last 2 weeks, we’re broke from helping our kids all year, and the weather is more spring than winter.

Carole is doing a great job of making the best of it, baking cookies, decorating the tree, etc. DeShawn has been busy making cards and drawings for everybody. This year’s tree has got to be the cheapest and easiest ever. We went to Target yesterday and their display trees were on sale for 75% off. We got a six foot tall one with white lights already installed for $18. Didn’t even have to assemble it…store to pickup truck to living room, plug it in.

Still work on the house continues…

This weekend we got most of the framing for the new porch ceiling and sidewall completed. Once more, the tough part of this work was matching the sizes of modern dimensional lumber with the old fashioned “true to size” boards. The old 2×4’s are actually 2″ by 4″ not 1.5″ by 3.5″. The original wall sheathing is 1″ thick, 5/4 by modern parlance. The matching is made worse by my obsession to make the new construction look like the original when done.

Mudroom porch framing

There’s still a day of work left finishing the soffit framing. I’m off work next week, so we are looking forward to having this big air hole closed in.

Some good

During the blog hiatus between 2004 and August 2006, we weren’t exactly idle. One of the projects conceived, executed, and completed in January/February 2006 was building out a closet in the west bedroom. The original space was more of an attic storage area than a closet. All that separated the conditioned space of the bedroom from the unconditioned space of the attic was the closet door.

In fact, the goals of the project were, primarily, to stop heat loss thru the attic. Secondarily, create a “real” closet.

The start of framing

Looking into the original space, you can see the roof decking and the waste vent pipe. Virtually no stopping heat from leaving the room and exiting the attic vents.

Another view of framing

Thermal barrier…thanks Deborah and Mike

For the final finish, we matched the look of the downstairs bathroom closet, beadboard for the walls and simple moldings. We still needed access to the attic, so we built an insulated access panel.

First coat of primer

Detail in progress

Completed and in use

Detail of completed

The hanger pole is the same piece of iron pipe used as a hanger pole in the original attic space. We bought antique yellow pine for the floor. Still needed to stain it to match the rest of the room. The access panel turned out pretty well.

Access panel and finished floor

Errata

A couple of other pictures from this week, of course, highlighting the roofing activity.

Looking down from the addition at the scrapyard

Backyard view of the house