A tree falling in the forest

Carole’s new floor/vegetable beds are doing great despite the bad frost we had last week. She was diligent about keeping them covered at night so all, but a couple, little plants survived.

This bed has a mixture of flowers and vegetables.

New vegetables in process

This herb and spice bed is right next to the side porch steps for easy access. It’s a great sheltered spot that gets strong morning light but little of the harsh afternoon sun.

Herb garden

Our neighbors, who shall remain nameless (but mentioned in previous, recent posts), decided to remodel their kitchen. Of course, this means destroying and discarding the 100 year old built-in cabinets. Luckily for the cabinets, and 118 Henry Street, we grabbed them as soon as they hit the side of the road. The cabinet bodies were irreparable but the doors and hardware are imminently restorable.

Rescued cabinet doors

All of this hardware appears to be original. Note the lack of paint where the latches and hinges were removed in the pic of the cabinet doors. We’re only missing one hinge.

Rescued hardware

Rescued cabinet drawers

The construction details, beadboard, and hardware match the built-in in our “green room”.

Carole has already approved a hutch design based on these beautiful antiques. Of course, finding the time to build is always the challenge..sigh..

What I did on my spring break, Part 3

Mowed the grass. Painted a fence. Worked on some windows. Got my taxes done.

Though not quite 5-7 days, the fence pickets dried out enough for me to get them painted. Between you, me and the fence post, I took a beating on the labor costs for building the fence. The materials estimate from 3 weeks ago was within 5% of our actual spending. But, boy did I underestimate the painting time. My final estimate had me painting the fence, including the posts, in 4 hours. We have spent 8 hours so far, with a little left to do.  Here’s a pic of me just short of stopping at the last 8 feet.

Painting the fence

The kitchen annex window sashes we’ve been restoring are finally on their last mend. Completely repaired, with 2 coats of primer, they’re all but ready for glass. We scavenged a sash out of one of the bathroom windows to get more float glass.

After so many windows, there are still tricks to learn. To whit, a chisel and tack hammer are the easiest and least destructive way to get the old glass out of the sashes. We tried Dremel tools, all manner of scrapers, box cutters, heat guns, etc. to extricate the old window putty but, inevitably, lost 1/3 of the panes in the process. With the chisel/hammer technique, we got 100% glass recovered with no increase in time.

Window sash in progress II

Window sash before

Carole’s been very busy in the yard with 4 new garden beds. Photo coverage coming soon!

What I did on my spring break, Part 2

Cleaned house. Dinked around. Recharged.

Today was a rest day A.F. We cleaned house a bit this morning, mostly washing/storing winter bed clothes.

DeShawn has finally made the treehouse-that-isn’t his own. He moved some books, art supplies, and Halloween decorations out there. I spent some time with him while he drew pictures of Pokemon monsters.

DeShawn at work in the treehouse

Here’s another shot of the not-so-treehouse from last July. DeShawn is flinging himself off the ladder to swing on the rope while Ben watches.

Not-really-a-treehouse treehouse�

Global warming may or may not exist, you choose. Fact is, with no winter to mention and an early, wet spring, we have some unusual flower phenomenon in the yard. E.g., This picture of snowbells and vinca.

Snowbells and vinca

Snowbells are usually the first green to poke thru the snow in the very early spring. Vinca usually doesn’t show up until late in April.

Also, the azaleas are already in bloom. Very early.

Azaleas

We going to go see a movie this afternoon. More to come later…